Sandal Redo


sandal redo

I am really excited about this project. Besides adding bow clips to shoes this is the first shoe redo I have ever done. I bought this pair of sandals at at garage sale last year for a dollar. They were in good shape and I really liked the style. When I brought them home I realized they were missing a rhinestone. I couldn’t believe I didn’t notice but I completely missed it.

IMG_1762

IMG_1763

At first I thought I would just buy a new rhinestone and glue it in. That was much easier said than done. I couldn’t find the right color to match. I tried popping out the other rhinestones to change them all but they wouldn’t budge. I ended up throwing the sandals in my shoe refashion pile and gave up on them.
I pulled them out the other day with a renewed outlook. I wanted to make little flowers to cover up the missing rhinestone. My idea didn’t seem like it was going to work and I started wondering if I could remove all of the metal disks. I started pulling them off of the shoes and most of them popped right off. Part way through destroying my shoes I did question my sanity but I figured there was no turning back.

IMG_1979

Once I had all the disks pulled off I had a great blank slate to add some fabric flowers. I dug around in my fabric stash and I found this shiny black fabric. It looked like it had to be some kind of synthetic blend so I was hoping it would work to singe the edges. I cut a circle and experimented with a lighter and it singed very nicely.

I proceeded to cut out a series of circles to make a layered singed flower. These are all over blog land  right now. I made a prototype first to make sure I had enough layers of fabric to cover up the circles on the shoes.  I cut most of the circles with my handy dandy circle cutter. I got it from Amazon to make better circles.

IMG_1984

I’m still getting the hang of using it and the fabric was kind of slippery so they aren’t all perfect. You can definitely tell which ones I cut by hand though.

IMG_1983

I singed the edges of each circle on the candle. I started out by using my fingers but after I nearly burned myself I wised up and used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the fabric. If you try this be careful! The fabric gets hot! I found if I ran the flame under the back of the circle, slightly away from the edge, it made the circle curl up into a pretty shape.

IMG_1985

IMG_1986

I repeated this to make six flowers. Once all the petals were done I glued them together by stacking each layer with a dab of glue in between. To finish off the center I added a pearl bead.

IMG_1988

Once the flowers were all done I used my glue gun to glue them all on. I like to glue on top of a magazine so I can rip off the top page that gets covered in glue and throw it away. Then I have a clean page for the next time I want to glue.

IMG_1989

Tadah! I fixed my sandals into something I can actually wear. They are a mix between dressy and casual so I can use them in either situation.

sandal redo

sandal redo

sandal redo

sandal redo



I may be linking up to one of these fabulous parties.

No comments