This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thanks for helping to support our blog.
Even though our little guy’s room is mostly done I haven’t shared many of the projects we’ve been working on. I was thinking about saving them up for the first few weeks he is here but since I don’t have anything else exciting to talk about today I’m sharing this cute DIY owl baby mobile I made.
The theme in our room is owls and I wanted to make something special to go along with it. I can’t even add up the number of hours I spent on Pinterest trying to find the perfect owl mobile idea. At first I thought I would crochet something but it seemed like a lot of work so I started looking for felt. I found an adorable owl mobile from Homemade by Jill. There is a link to the tree template and she used this owl template from Juicy Bits.
There was still a bit more work than I was interested here because the owl are all hand sewn and stuffed in both tutorials. I was not interested in hand sewing eight owls and two trees with tons of parts so I decided to hot glue everything. It was so much easier but it still took quite a while to cut out all the little pieces and match them all up. I did finish the whole project over a weekend.
When I was considering how to make the actual mobile parts I saw this origami mobile at One Dog Woof. She used this pre made mobile from Amazon. It was under $10 so I went ahead and bought one with the thought that I could reuse it in the future to hang pictures like it was originally designed.
I used a mix of blue and green felt for the owls and the trees. I also added white, yellow and cream to the mix that aren’t pictured above. For the owls, I didn’t use the entire eye template because I though it made the owls look a little creepy. The eyes are black rhinestones. I really wanted to make sleepy eyes but didn’t want to hand embroider 16 tiny little circles so I dug around in my stash until I settled on the rhinestones.
Mike helped me hang up the mobile by screwing a hook into the ceiling and we strung a piece of ribbon to tie the mobile on. It will be easily adjustable in case we ever have to raise it up higher.
I love how it came out although I wonder if I should have made everything double sided so it was pleasing to look at any way it is hanging. I‘ll probably just leave it as it because I’d rather focus on a new project like finally starting some crochet hats. Time is running out so I’d better get busy on those!