This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thanks for helping to support our blog.
I bought this dress at the thrift store. I loved the polka dot pattern and even though it was a little bit large, it had ties that I could cinch in the back. After I got it home and tried it on again I decided I hated the weird sleeves. They weren’t defined enough plus the skirt was too full and long. I tried it on multiple times, each time thinking I could make it work but it still ended up in the refashion pile.
It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with this dress. It finally hit me one day. I have a dress that I love, it fits me really well and I always get tons of compliments when I wear it. (A secret for all my bloggy friends- I got the dress at a garage sale.) I decided to use this dress as a template for my polka dot dress. I turned the polka dot dress inside out and laid my template dress on top. Then I traced down the sides with my disappearing ink pen.
After I got my line set I turned the dress right side out and lopped off the ties. I hate those things. They get in the way when I’m wearing a cardigan and by the time I finished this dress I would have no use for them anymore.
Since I was making the dress more form fitting and it was knit I used a stretch stitch to sew my new seams. It’s #5 on my sewing machine. I recently discovered this stitch and I love it for sewing knits.
I sewed down the line I drew on both sides. When I was done I tried the dress on to make sure it fit the way I wanted. I had to play with the sleeve seam a little to get it right.
After I had all the seams the way I wanted them I chopped off the extra fabric.
And volia! Another successful refashion! I even like the longer length now so I didn’t have to hem it.
I will probably be wearing it to work with a cardi since it’s getting cool out. I can easily add tights to stay warm in this cooler fall weather.